Community Development Block Grant
The South Carolina Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Program provides grants to eligible local governments (towns, cities and counties) that do not directly receive CDBG funding from the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). CDBG grants can fund a wide variety of projects from revitalizing neighborhoods to improving community infrastructure, providing public facilities and creating or retaining jobs. The state program is administered by the South Carolina Department of Commerce, Division of Grants Administration.
Examples of eligible projects include:
- Public infrastructure projects such as water, sewer, roads and drainage improvements
- Public neighborhood facilities such as libraries, workforce centers, fire stations and fire trucks, and public safety related facilities
- Public improvements such as streets, sidewalks, drainage and infrastructure related to downtown and neighborhood revitalization
- Clearance and demolition to address obstacles to economic growth, remediate environmental hazards or facilitate neighborhood revitalization
- Economic development infrastructure and other assistance to local governments needed to create or retain jobs